Fair & Sustainable Consulting is a consultancy firm and social enterprise. Our mission is to assist people in developing countries to improve their livelihoods and increase their income. We offer thematic expertise on corporate social responsibility, inclusive value chain development, value chain finance and program management. Our clients are companies, development organizations and government agencies in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America working in agricultural vale chains. We currently have a team of 16 consultants in the Netherlands and 10 at our subsidiary in Ethiopia. For more information: www.fairandsustainable.nl.
Fair & Sustainable Consulting works on developing sustainable value chains that are socially, environmentally and economically sound. We believe that a fair benefit sharing between all chain actors results in win-win situations, in stronger and more sustainable value chains and lasting relationships. Our guiding principle is based on a Market Systems Development approach, also known as Making Markets work for the Poor – M4P. We use a systemic and holistic approach to value chains, including all actors inside and around a value chain, such as financial institutions and business development services.
Our consultants provide value chain analysis and support to governments, companies and NGOs. We advise on value chain selection, value chain mapping, business development, value chain finance and all kinds of aspects related to inclusiveness (gender, youth, human rights). We offer coaching, training, capacity building for different actors, and facilitate and develop multi-stakeholder partnerships. We also evaluate value chain development programs.
To strengthen and expand our current capacity we are looking for an experienced and motivated
Consultant Value Chain Development
You will be responsible for the implementation of new value chain development assignments, in close collaboration with the client and our other team members. Our consultants have a number of general consultancy tasks, as well as a number of specific tasks related to their specific area of expertise:
- Advise clients regarding concrete assignments.
- Implement assignments according to the client’s quality criteria and Fair & Sustainable standards, within the given time frame.
- Evaluate, together with the client, the quality of the services delivered.
- Acquisition of new assignments for Fair & Sustainable.
- Follow discussions and trends related to his/her area of expertise and develop new products and services to meet the changing demands.
- Develop and maintain a network of clients/relations (civil society organizations, knowledge institutes, companies, etc.) relevant to the area of expertise.
- Share knowledge and ideas within the Fair & Sustainable team, provide feedback to colleagues and work (jointly) on product innovations.
- Prepare bids for new assignments, projects and programs.
- Write concise reports on assignments when requested by the client.
- Time registration on assignments and provide the Fair & Sustainable management with requested management information.
- Work closely with other Fair & Sustainable consultants on the implementation of value chain development assignments through desk studies and field work.
- Formulate recommendations on inclusive value chain development to clients.
- Write successful proposals to clients and donors. Identify potential leads, develop and maintain a client base for potential assignments on inclusive value chain development.
- Assist with the development, implementation and monitoring of specific value chains programs.
- Develop trainings, tools and other working materials on value chain development, Market Systems Development and related fields.
- Participate actively in value chain development networks.
Who are we looking for?
For this position we are looking for a professional with entrepreneurial skills, profound knowledge on inclusive value chain development and with good consultancy skills. You may already have developed a specific niche with which you would like to add value to our team: food security, finance, business planning, youth employment, human rights, private sector collaboration, etc. You keep track of the potential for inclusive value chains consultancies in the market and are capable to transfer chances into concrete assignments for Fair & Sustainable. You are committed to the mission and vision of Fair & Sustainable as a social enterprise.
You therefore have the following competencies:
- You are result oriented and make sure that you finish your assignments within the given time frame at a high quality level.
- In contact with the client you show good commercial and negotiation skills. You deliver adequate acquisition activities and you manage to reach your acquisition targets.
- You are an experienced networker and liaise easily with different actors like NGO’s, government institutions, companies and donors.
- You are quick learner and equipped to analyze sector and product specific knowledge on trends, niches, chances, etc. You are able to interpret and transform this knowledge into concrete conclusions, recommendations, plans and projects.
- Communicative- and advisory skills are part of your profile. You are a reliable counterpart to your client, equipped to convince your client that you are able to solve his/her problem.
- You are conversant in the English, Dutch, and preferably French and/or Spanish language.
- You have lived and worked in a developing country for at least three years and understand the dynamics of a developing country and the challenges of men and women working in agricultural value chains.
- You are innovative in your own area of expertise and interested to develop a strong(er) profile in value chain development.
- You are flexible and prepared to travel frequently for the implementation of your assignments.
- You are a good team player and collaborate well with other professionals. You solicit advice when required and you give feedback when requested.
- You have excellent and proven writing skills.
Requested knowledge and work experience
Relevant education: business management, development economics or other relevant education at MSc. level. Knowledge of international development cooperation, inclusive value chain development, market systems development and preferably an additional related niche area.
We offer a professional working and learning environment and exposure to and involvement in value chain development programs and assignments. We offer a competitive salary package based on knowledge and experience. Fair & Sustainable offers good training opportunities to its consultants to develop their expertise and we have a flexible work place policy. We offer a contract for one year, with the possibility for extension. Duty station for the consultant is Utrecht.
For more information about the position you can contact Wilfried Schasfoort, Director of Fair & Sustainable, tel: +31 6 23379019 or mail: email@example.com
You can send your application (motivation letter and CV) by mail before Monday 21st August 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews are planned between 28th August and 1st September.